I’ve never been one for those pesky New Year’s resolutions. Of course, I want to be healthier in the New Year (I mean, who doesn’t?!), but life is short and I’m not about to give up on “the good stuff.” After all, as a mom, wife, business owner, and fellow 2020 survivor, cocktails are essential for my sanity. And I’m guessing more than a few of you can relate…
But it turns out that healthy and happy don’t have to be mutually exclusive this year. Enter the Earl Grey MarTEAni…
I mean, lemon juice, an egg white, and Earl Grey tea…it’s nearly as good for you as a trip to your local pressed juice bar. AND it packs that all-important punch that we need at the end (or in the middle) of each long, hard day. Sounds heavenly, doesn’t it?! Let’s craft this cocktail…
- 1 1/2 ounces Earl Grey tea-infused Tanqueray gin
- 3/4 ounce lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 ounce simple syrup
- 1 egg white
- Garnish: sugar rim
- Garnish: lemon twist
1. Infuse the gin: Add 4 tbsp Earl Grey tea leaves into a 750 mL bottle of Tanqueray gin (or other high-proof dry gin), cap and shake.
2. Let sit at room temperature for at least 2 hours.
3. Strain the infused gin through a coffee filter into a separate container.
4. Rinse out the bottle to remove any loose tea, and pour the gin back into the clean bottle. This can be stored indefinitely, if refrigerated.
5. Use sugar to half-rim a coupe glass and set aside.
6. Add all ingredients into a shaker without ice and dry-shake vigorously (at least 10 seconds).
7. Add ice and shake again until well-chilled.
8. Strain into the prepared coupe and garnish with a lemon twist.
Take that first delightful sip. Ahhh…
Now, while you’re slowly sipping that stress-relieving “health drink,” let’s talk interiors. When I think of spaces inspired by this cocktail that warms you from the inside out, alleviating the chill of the winter, I envision cozy rooms in vibrant colors that brighten the dark January days and bring a smile to all who enter.
I imagine spaces that throw an unexpected punch, relieving your dreariness and infusing a burst of energy into your day…waking you up, lighting that fire underneath you, and helping you power through everything on that never-ending to-do list. Spaces that us mamas and entrepreneurs crave. Rooms that we need!
Wondering what those interiors might look like? Let me share a few of my faves…
#BestSippedWith: Hardworking Spaces with a Happy Vibe
There is something about this room that screams “new year, new mindset, new goals” to me.
I’m inspired to get down to business just looking at this room, which is equally well suited for sipping that aforementioned MarTEAni (for happy hour or an early brunch), and for motivating me to grab my laptop and get sh** done!
The unique shape of the chairs, the funky little lamp in the corner, the vibrant color of the drapes – it all makes me so happy.
This room has me ready to take on the world, try something new, and start 2021 off with a bang!
#BestSippedWith: Tea Parties and To-Do Lists
When I designed this space (thank you very much!), I was genuinely feeling like ice-cream and sunshine! Happy-go-lucky, loving life, energized, and childlike.
My interpretation of those feelings brought about a room that infuses joy into the client’s every day.
There is something about the miniature elements and fun details in this space that provide a light in the midst of an otherwise dramatic room full of blacks and burgundies.
The more I think about it, this is the perfect room to reflect the attitude that we should all be bringing into this new year. The triumph over the dark days of 2020 and the vibrancy and light promised in 2021. Who’s with me?!
#BestSippedWith: Less Color, More Calm
One reviewer of our lovely MarTEAni said, “I remember being pleasantly surprised at the cocktail’s dryness, from the tannins in the tea.”
That speaks volumes about the beverage, but also applies brilliantly to this space. While I’m generally drawn toward the deep, dark drama of saturated jewel tones and various shades of black, this white space calls out to me in surprising ways.
The complete opposite of my signature designs, this gorgeous room feels calm, serene, peaceful, and epitomizes a fresh start. Again, ideal for the new year?! I think so.
Although I’m one for copious amounts of color, the lack of color here is absolutely stunning. And that burst of orange in the background? As surprising and delicious as the beautiful orange cocktail I hope you’re still savoring.
#BestSippedWith: Happy Hour Harmony
I first found the above living room alongside this well-suited quote: “…like it or not, outdoor drinks and cocktails to-go will soon be replaced by cozy nights in.”
While I traditionally associate tea with morning rituals, this Earl Grey MarTEAni is helping me see tea’s evening application as well.
I can just picture walking into this living room for happy hour after a long day in my home office.
Feeling my stress melt away as I sip a beverage of choice while the sun sets. Feeling grateful about the day’s accomplishments surrounded by the vibrant energy in this otherworldly space.
Now it’s your turn…
Alright, alright, so I have shown you some seriously serene spaces filled with warmth, inspiration, and a hint of the unexpected. But you’re probably curious if I’ll ever get to the practical implementation for YOUR space, right?
So in that spirit, I have put together some of my top picks for that hard-earned, happiness-inducing bar area in your own home…each of them as awe-inspiring and quirky (in the best possible way) as the last…
#BestSippedWith: Bar Cart Essentials
1. This custom bar cabinet collaboration between Kelly Wearstler and Los Angeles-based artist Peter Shire infuses whimsical colors with function and sophistication. While this cabinet is one-of-a-kind and unavailable for purchase, Kelly’s website is stocked with other stunning (and equally unique) pieces that will level up your home bar. Ahhh-mazing! (Image Source)
2. This bar tool set from Crate&Barrel comes in a gorgeous copper finish that adds an aesthetic of warmth to the traditional stainless steel. Consisting of everything you need to craft luxury cocktails, this set is ready and waiting to help you make that marvelous marTEAni. (Image Source)
3. This Memphis Milano Colorado Teapot by Marco Zanin, courtesy of Artemest, is as fun and whimsical as kitchen accessories come. A statement-making art piece when not in use, this teapot is also fully functional and can make that healthy morning tea ritual much less boring. Or it can add an extra burst of joy when crafting your Earl Grey cocktail. I’m in love! (Image Source)
4. This 5-piece set of Murano cocktail glasses is hand-made, making each vessel one-of-a-kind. Signed by the artist and displaying a playful color palette, these martini glasses are guaranteed to provide a good time…and help keep your sanity in check, of course! (Image Source)
5. This set of 3 Murano 1960’s striking orange glass compotes with clear glass stems feature varying heights and a scalloped rim. Display them proudly on your bar shelving or fill them with a marTEAni and serve to your loved ones. Either way, they are sure to be the talk of your home in all the right ways. (Image Source)
The Earl Grey MarTEAni – warm, surprising, motivating, and in line with those health-filled New Years resolutions (sort of) – shows us that a touch of the unexpected, an attempt at something new, and the belief in thinking outside the box are the keys to jaw-dropping and inspiring results, whether in craft cocktails or interior design.
If you’re ready to reinvent daily rituals, start the new year strong, and design a happy, hard-working space all your own, let’s chat.